: This program includes four modules:
•Legal Secretary (a prerequisite of Legal Transcription)
•Ace Your Job Search!
Legal transcription has come into the public view recently being recognized for its efficient and professional influence on legal records and is steadily becoming a popular trend in the legal field. Legal Transcriptionists use verbatim methods to store, recover, and record legal information, and pre-trail and trial proceedings. They use prerecorded information, and written material to compile reports. Legal transcriptionists transcribe material that has been dictated or recorded in courtrooms, closed hearings, law offices, or through personal interviews. They accurately document all testimony, pleadings, interrogations, meeting minutes, and hearings.
This Legal Transcription course teaches the most current practices for transcribing and revising any legal document with correct formatting, punctuation, and spelling.
• Formatting and terminology skills using illustrations of legal documents.
• Real-world projects dictated on accompanying CD using both national and international accents and dialects.
• Discussion of legal office procedures related to legal transcription activities.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
• Type quickly and correctly
• Identify the transcription format for civil litigation
• Identify the transcription format for probates
• Identify the transcription format for family law
• Identify the transcription format for legal instruments
• Identify the transcription format for bankruptcy and the appellate procedureInstructor Description
: This class supported by an Educational Mentor. Our educational mentors have worked or are working in the subject they mentor. Educational Mentors reviews student work, student progress, and interacts with students as needed. They respond to any questions or concerns you might have, as well as encouraging and motivating you to succeed.Certification
: Upon successful completion of our Legal Transcription course, students will be prepared for an entry-level position as a Legal Transcriptionist and will be prepared, in part, for the AAERT national certification exam to become a Certified Electronic Transcriber (CET).
This program includes all required material. The following textbooks will be provided to each student upon registration:
• Basic Manual for the Lawyer’s Assistant by NALS
• Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 18 Software
• Legal Transcription (with CD-ROMs) by Linda R. Lyle and G. Howard Doty
• Digital Transcription Equipment: Headset, Foot Pedal and Software